Monday, November 30, 2009

Where can I buy a pig? What are miniature pigs bred for? Pets?

I would like to save a pig. I am a vegetarian and I want a pig as a pet. I am doing my reserach to do so. So far, I know that pigs are like dogs, and they have the intelligence of a three year old child.



I would like to know, where do the pigs that are slaughtered for meat come from? Where could I buy a baby pig that would grow up and go to a slaughterhouse? I want to save a pig, just one, from a slaughterhouse. Where can I buy one? How big would it grow? I know that they give pigs growth hormones and therefore they grow bigger, but do they give these hormones to the mother pigs tat breed the pigs for slaughter also, or just the slaughter pigs? Do they even have breeder mother pigs?



Also, I was wondering why are miniature pigs bred? Are they bred for pets? If they are I wouldn't get one because the point is to get a meat pig to save it from the slaughterhouse.



Thanks everyone, VEGETARIANS/VEGANS SAVE A PIG! haha



Where can I buy a pig? What are miniature pigs bred for? Pets?-Myspace pets www.myspace.com





Hi,



you and i both share a love for pigs (i'm seriously obsessed with them) and i am also a vegetarian.. so let me tell you what i know about this because i too am interested in buying a pig as a pet.



the first thing you have to know are the laws in your city/town etc.. some towns don't allow farm animals as pets (that is, if you plan to keep it in your house.. some people have pigs and let them sleep in their house like a dog or a cat).. so if that's what you're planning to do, do some research. if you want to keep it in your backyard i think you have to have a minimum amount of land in order to keep a "Farm" animal.



the bad thing about pigs is that they are really dirty... they instinctively are just dirty animals... but i still love them. anyways, they need mud because it's their cooling agent... so keep that in mind.



the pigs that are slaughtered come from HUGE pig farms, they are bred over and over (which results in alot of mental retardation in the pigs) - mostly because breeding is usually done with incest (where a brother and sister pig mate, for example). so the idea of "saving" a pig from slaughter isn't exactly realistic.



they give hormones to any pig that is going to be slaughtered. for the sole reason of making it fatter and more meat is available to be sold.



if you want a pig as a pet, i would recommend going to a family farm, ask them if their pigs are breeding and ask to buy one when they are born - obviously they will need to stay with the mother for about 1.5-2 months.



as for the miniature pigs, they are bred for pets (or so i've heard) but i have actually only heard about them in germany (sorry i don't know more about this)



hope this helped.



-fellow pig lover



Where can I buy a pig? What are miniature pigs bred for? Pets?

-(Myspace.com)



Minerature, or tiny pigs, are bred for tiny little pork chops, to be sold to restaurants that don't care to give the customer very much for his money. The hides are used for tiny little change purses for people with little or no money.



And aside form the bull, yes pigs do make smart pets, if you have the room to raise them, and to the contrary of many beliefs, they are not dirty animals.



Where can I buy a pig? What are miniature pigs bred for? Pets?

-(Myspace code myspace.com)



A farm.
Well, first off, pigs get way bigger than you think. I had a miniature potbellied pig and it grew ENORMOUS. Pigs also grow TUSKS, which need to be trimmed. They also need to eat small amounts of hay everyday. This coupled with the fact that they poop..alot and often, made my house smell like a barn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
rate my teacher